- Begin compiling a list of potential colleges and universities about which you would like to gather more information. By the end of the year, we advise that you have a list of 5-10 schools that you may consider. Campus visits to your schools of choice should be completed before May 1.
- Take electives that will challenge you but also fit your long-term interests.
- Continue to improve or maintain good grades and fine tune your writing skills.
- Take the PSAT for the second time in October. Use the results that you receive to identify your strengths and weaknesses and prepare for the SAT/ACT.
- Take the SAT and/or ACT during the spring semester. You should take one of these, preferrably both, twice by the June test dates.
- Begin more seriously to visit college campuses -- during Spring Break and throughout the summer.
- Create and continue to update your resume with all of your achievements and accomplishments, extra-curricular activities, volunteer and community service, church ministries, and work experience.
- If you plan to participate in collegiate athletics, make certain that you meet the requirements set forth by the NCAA, NAIA, NCCAA, or NJCAA.
The Georgia Student Finance Commission website contains many valuable resources to help you plan for college. You are encouraged to visit it and establish a free account. There is also a feature that allows you to create one application that can be used for a number of colleges as well as for the HOPE Scholarship application process.
Register for the SAT at the following site.
Register for the ACT at the following site.
For lists of colleges, admissions requirements, freshman profiles, video files of campuses, and much more, visit these websites.
For help with college applications, letters of reference, essays, test preparation, and more, visit this site to find checklists and articles that make it easier to manage your college deadlines.
Following are additional websites where you may find great sources for private scholarships and other types of financial aid.
www.coca-colascholars.org (The Coca-Cola Foundation)
www.horatioalger.com/scholarships (The Horatio Alger Association)